Saturday, August 1, 2009

FAIL....

Um. So yeah.

I thought I would knock out Lauren's theoretically-worst challenge: to give up all of my "liquid indulgences" for a week.
I have a feeling she posed this for the following reasons.
-When I gave up drinking diet soda, I started chugging coffee
-When I stopped drinking coffee, I started drinking tea a lot
-Then my 21st birthday hit, and I drank a glass of wine/other alcohol with dinner
-Then in an effort to maintain a non-Jabba-the-Hutt waistline, I started to drink a lot of sparkling water. See, it's like soda, but without the aspartame! And I would drink that generally instead of wine at night. During this time period, the tea lattes also made a comeback.

So... I have a beverage problem. I like to ALWAYS have a beverage around me, but especially while studying or writing. I know some people would say I have caffeine issues, but I've gotten so used to giving that up cold turkey that I don't think that's the problem anymore. I think it's essentially just the habit of drinking (again, especially while studying/reading/writing).

So, as per Lauren's challenge, I tried to give all of the above named beverages for a week, and make due with only water and the smoothie-with-powder I choke down in the morning to ensure I get enough protein. I made it through Wednesday and Thursday just fine. Then yesterday I found myself drinking straight from the 2 liter bottle of cream soda that has been sitting on the counter all summer before I even knew what I was doing. It kind of reminded me of a story my grandmother tells about the time she fell asleep smoking and lit the couch on fire. As my grandfather put the couch out she was crying hysterically, panicking, and swearing she would never smoke again... as she lit another cigarette.

This will be attempted again. Maybe after a better battle-plan is formulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment